Make a Difference as a Social Entrepreneur
In this 40-unit program, you will experience wide-ranging and comprehensive instruction that incorporates a unique balance of organizational and enterprise competencies. Students analyze complex social problems, create sustainable market-based solutions, and learn management practices such as formulating strategies, leading impactful organizations, and developing business plans that include finance, economic logic, and marketing campaigns.
In the second year of the curriculum, learners participate in a Global Exchange Experience in a developing country. The program culminates in a two-term capstone project that includes researching and creating a social enterprise, writing a business plan, and presenting their validated idea to social entrepreneur leaders in a Fast Pitch event.
- Hybrid format is ideal for working professionals and full-time students allowing you to take advantage of the best features of both face-to-face and online learning.
- Robust online modules feature engaging synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
- In-person classroom component offers an enhanced experience, personalized/hands-on approach, relational interaction with peers, and increased quality of learning.
- Cohort model designed to build upon leadership skills, peer support, and lifelong relationships with colleagues.
- Global Change Experience creates a well-rounded global perspective of social, economic, and community issues though hands-on immersion with an organization in a developing country.
- Capstone project provides a solid professional next step after completing the program as students are guided through the process of creating a complete business plan and go-to-market strategy in collaboration with successful mentors and faculty of scholar-practitioners who are nationally-recognized experts in all aspects of social entrepreneurship.
- The Annual Fast Pitch Competition is one of the most inspiring and highly-anticipated events of the year. Graduating students pitch their social enterprise concepts developed in the program to address some of society’s most difficult challenges. They share the vision, mission, promise, and model of their enterprise, all in less than six minutes. Qualified judges provide valuable feedback, and top-placers earn funds for their enterprise. Former students have gone on to establish impactful enterprises in international women’s health, urban farming, social services for marginalized populations, ethical retail products and services, social impact publications, community development, educational entities, and many others.
- Career opportunities are expanded considerably for graduates in many professional contexts, including businesses, non-profits, foundations, government and non-government organizations, and others. You will be prepared to start and lead impactful social enterprises and highly-qualified for leadership positions in marketing, finance, human resources, product/service development, operations, program administration, development, corporate social responsibility, and much more. Proficiency in social, entrepreneurial, leadership, and many other concepts makes this one of the most versatile and valuable master's degrees available.